Friday, January 30, 2009

Oh when the Saints...

So, I went to a basketball game last night. The CHS Saints game to be exact. and while I was highly entertained, I have to admit that I so rather would have come home after watching becca and the girls play. I'll start with this, i don't think I have ever seen so much immaturity from one group of people in my life..sad part is, it wasn't from the high school group, but their parents. Their parents who (no use sugar coating it) made themselves look like morons. Between the yelling, the jeering, the hand gestures, oh!, and the beating of the seats during free throws..its high school! I understand that they feel as though they are being supportive parents, and obviously get into a pack mentality, but honestly, I wish they'd have acted their ages. The support things goes out the window for me, bc the parents were not ANYWHERE near as..lively during the girls game as they were during the boys game (which, sidenote, is totally sexist and could probably be a leading factor in the reasons girls have worse self worth than boys, but whatever). But I mean, the players and coaches kept themselves better in check than the people in the stands. Kudos to the Saints by the way, for visibly trying to keep their cool. I respected that the high school boys could keep it together better than their fathers could, sad but true. But at the same time, i doubt if the parents consider the impression that their attitudes and actions leave on not only passers by, but on their kids. Sure, they might be cool at the game but a lot of kids attitudes after the game are terrible. and just in general, their anger seems to flare up faster outside of a game than inside. Maybe I just don't get it. Growing up with 3 sisters, we didnt really get into going to games. but my dad! when he watched a game, if he wasn't reading his Bible, he was ironing or cleaning something, don't know if i ever saw him yell about a game. ever. which probably explains why I just dont get the rage some people manage to conjure up over a high school game.
But also, the saddest part to me, is why in the world these parents spend thousands to keep their kids out of the "filth" of public school, only to bring that filth to their games! Hellooo! In the great words of JK- "Potty mouth! Flush it!"
I guess people just get into the game. Parents being parents. I just hope I don't ever act like that one day. Something I've SO gotten lately is that the eyes are watching. Whether it's a small child who sells her parents out as drinkers, or a big kid who's anger lashes out with twice the intensity of their examples, if the recognize the behavior or not, its going to surface at some point, in some manner.

Maybe one day people will act on the adage they tell their kids...
"It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play [watch] the game."

1 comment:

  1. hello?! the idea is to continue posting. i tagged you, in case you need a little inspiration!

    ReplyDelete