Wednesday, May 20, 2009

so, here's to "one day"...

So, i personally blame Snow White for my logic here, bc obviously, it's her fault. She's the one who planted in every little girls head how "some day my prince will come.." and all that jazz. And the last part is trivial, but the first part stuck, "some day", which for me has evolved into "one day".

This has become a life motto. Not only in bad ways ("one day" i'll put the laundry away, "one day" ill learn something in math, etc.), but in a way to keep hope alive. There are so many days were i find myself playing a daydreamer, and say, "one day". And I envision this in the silliest way.."one day" happens to be, we'll say, a shooting star, that carries all of your hopes and dreams, that is of course, if you catch it. (can you tell I watched too many princess movies as a kid??..some day my prince..when you wish upon a star..geez!) But in all reality it's a simple concept. In those two words I have suddenly given myself hope.. and not to be cocky about it, bc i know its only going to happen as I trust and walk in God, but still...one day, usually preceded with or followed by "it could happen". And of all the times I've ever been really stuck, needing to give advice or help carry a burden, the hope of "one day" does wonders to ease the mind -"one day" he'll turn around, or "one day" you'll understand it a little better, or "one day" they'll grow up, and "one day" they'll understand. And I could say it because I know it gives people peace of mind, but I don't do it just for that..and I do my best not to say it unless I believe it. because of the power behind those two words...

and I find it ironic how the princess with the "some day" song, was the one followed by the seven dwarfs..dopey, sleepy, sneezy, grumpy, doc, bashful and happy. Because in the event that one has ever had to use the term "one day" there are usually a series of emotions to follow. Dopey - that time when you assume "one day" will surely be tomorrow, and if not tomorrow, then the day right after. Just has to be!..riiight. Sleepy - when the days have gotten long, and you're getting a little tired of waiting for "one day". Sneezy - not only are you tired, now you're sick and tired of waiting..Grumpy - bc I'm sick and tired, (and oh yeah, impatient) I start to get a little huffy about having to wait. Doc - there's usually, for me, a moment in my waiting, where a song, or a sermon, or a good talk stops me in my tracks, and I realize that I need an attitude adjustment to my waiting for "one day" at this point. Bashful - that time where I'm just waiting, a little embarrassed for being impatient, so trying to wait as patiently as possible for this with everything I've got. and Happy - when "one day" has come..but this can come in other ways; sometimes its the kind where your wildest hopes and silly dreams have come true, and others its the day that you've made peace with the fact that the wait is over. And that sounds sad, but at the same time, its just timing...sometimes you just need time to deal.

maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way...maybe, and probably, I'm the only one with a "one day" list in the back of my head - which is getting longer by the minute. I'll share a few..

"One Day":
i'll put away the laundry
i'll understand how to do math
my job will feel like enough..and..
i'll put more money in my savings
i'll sing a little louder
i'll (maybe) get that other tattoo
i'll put more effort into the little things
i'll help people
i'll be brave
i'll feel successful
being 'me' will feel like enough
my prince will come (come on, I had to! it's the song!!)

and the list goes on, and on, and on. but I think thats just about as personal as we'll get today. So for anyone who was looking for a little hope, here's some; so tie a knot on the end of your rope and hang on to it, because one day (insert hopes and dreams here)...it could happen.

3 comments:

  1. One day I'll feel successful too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your blog tonight.....I love finding new blogs...Had a little time to blog hop tonight while waiting to go to the hospital and welcome a new grandson tomorrow. This month I am posting about our Disney trip, plus a great giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your optimism! And I love your tender heart.... I love you.

    ReplyDelete